Thursday, December 11, 2008

spitting

Hi this is my debut poem in English. I wrote this when I was pursuing my M.A. in the American College, Madurai. I still remember those days…Dr. Love taking us to Kodai International School. This poem is special for me not because it is first ever try, but this is my only work that has some social flavor in it. I hate people spitting on the roads, especially when I walk or drive. Now you must have got the reason behind the creation of this poem. The day before reading this before the audience we (my classmates and seniors) all rehearsed articulating our poems. Dr. Love said that we got to say our name and then go reading the stuff. The rehearsal went really well until I came. “I am Madhavarajan SPITTING”, is what I said and there was a thunderous laughter…
Here we go with the poem
.
.
.

SPITTING


As I walk on the streets,

I cautiously detour and

head for the unused platform.

When I stand at the bus stop,


I jump here and there,

for they shoot towards my legs.

When I see the foamy,

gelatinous splashed out,

My salivary glands explode.

Should I spit on the road

Or on the two-legged beasts?


by,


madhav


6 comments:

  1. same blood here!

    the only thing that i object is labelling this poem as 'funny poem'. some other adjective (angry?)would be better...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second tharumi
    idhulla sirikka enna irukku sir?
    OSUM
    so madhav - the poet ? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. where are ur other poems?like to read them too.write also the background where u sat to write this in kodaikanal,it will be more interesting maddy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey maddy if i remember right you titled your poem as Expectorating or expectoration - how you hunted for a word as bombastic as that!!!!
    hehehehe

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Call Busy

  In the silence of the night, I dial her number, my heart alight, Alas, she rejects my call, no words, no text, nothing at all.  ...